Home > Our Mission
The Institute for Medicine and Public Health at Vanderbilt exists to connect research and teaching with policy and practical solutions. We are charged with re-imagining and amplifying collaborations among more than 50 departments, 292 faculty, 110 graduate students, more than 21 centers, and all ten schools. The Institute reaches across the state, nation, and the global community to translate knowledge into better health.
Our goals are to:
- Improve health outcomes for people, including reduction of morbidity and premature mortality, restoration to normal or improvement in biological processes, and satisfaction with health services.
- Improve the quality of public and personal health services so they are safe, timely, effective, patient-centered, equitable and efficient.
- Discover, create and evaluate new content of healthcare delivery, including more effective, efficient and compassionate methods for risk assessment, disease prevention, diagnosis, therapy and prognosis.
- Design, implement and evaluate new structures of high quality public and personal healthcare systems, including federal, state and professional policies; payment systems, and organizational systems of healthcare delivery.
- Design, implement and evaluate new, effective, efficient, and compassionate processes of healthcare delivery - the methods of delivering the content of care within the structure of care.
- Understand and improve the impact of human and organizational behavior on the optimization of public and personal health.
- Develop and implement educational and training programs that will provide a new generation of scholars and leaders in the science and management of public and personal health and healthcare delivery.
- Four honored by Women’s CenterMarch 27, 2017
- VUToday: The middle-class crisis in weekly roundup of VU news storiesMarch 27, 2017
- Nashville is strong, but feeling growing pains: Vanderbilt PollMarch 26, 2017
- VUMC to offer free head and neck cancer screening April 7March 24, 2017
- Memorial service for Professor Vivien Casagrande set for April 12March 24, 2017