News and Highlights
Russell Rothman, M.D., MPP, professor of Medicine, Pediatrics and Health Policy, chief of the Section of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics and director of the Vanderbilt Center for Health Services Research, has been named assistant vice chancellor for Population Health Research.
Major award from CMS supports a partnership between Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Health Affiliated Network (VHAN) and the Safety Net Consortium of Middle Tennessee to improve clinical practices. Dr. Rothman directs the consortium.
Vanderbilt established The Institute for Medicine and Public Health as a university-wide entity that will guide the institution’s efforts at the intersection of medicine and public health.
The mission of the Institute for Medicine and Public Health is to improve personal and public health through discovery, training and service programs aimed to protect against threats to health, promote healthier living, improve the quality of health services, and prepare leaders to advance health and healthcare.
Our goals are to:
- Improve health outcomes for people, including reduction of morbidity and premature mortality, restoration to normal or improvement in biological processes, and satisfaction with health services.
- Improve the quality of public and personal health services so they are safe, timely, effective, patient-centered, equitable and efficient.
- Discover, create and evaluate new content of healthcare delivery, including more effective, efficient and compassionate methods for risk assessment, disease prevention, diagnosis, therapy and prognosis.
- Design, implement and evaluate new structures of high quality public and personal healthcare systems, including federal, state and professional policies; payment systems, and organizational systems of healthcare delivery.
- Design, implement and evaluate new, effective, efficient, and compassionate processes of healthcare delivery - the methods of delivering the content of care within the structure of care.
- Understand and improve the impact of human and organizational behavior on the optimization of public and personal health.
- Develop and implement educational and training programs that will provide a new generation of scholars and leaders in the science and management of public and personal health and healthcare delivery.